Finally, Pakistan Electronic Media Regulatory Authority (PEMRA) has taken the notice! In recent months, we have come across numerous advertisements on TV that are quite excessive and can’t be watched sitting in a family. Considering this, PEMRA has now issued a directive asking TV channels to stop airing un-ethical, indecent and vulgar content.
PEMRA has issued this notice on the directives of the Senate Standing Committee on Information Broadcasting and National Heritage. PEMRA has also taken notice of commercial programs broadcasted during the Holy month of Ramadan. The authority received thousands of complaints against such programs. A large section of public considers these programs against the norms and sanctity of the Holy month.
Here are all the restrictions that PEMRA has directed TV channels to apply:
- No TV channel should air foreign content for more than 10% of total air-time, i.e. more than 2 and half hour of foreign content per day
- The duration of ADs within an hour should not exceed 12 minutes.
- No programs promoting religious consumerism particularly hurting sanctity of the Holy month of Ramadan.
- No use of songs during news-bulletins.
- No programs and commercials containing indecent and objectionable clips etc.
- No programs on re-enactment and dramatization of crimes.
Apart from these, PEMRA has also given directives to promote patriotism. It has asked TV channels to telecast national anthem before the start of every day transmission. Moreover, PEMRA has advised the TV channels to develop programs related to children health. Have a look on the notification issued,
Indeed, a much awaited directive from PEMRA! Hopefully, the authority will also take measures to ensure that TV channels follow these rules and regulations.
What are your thoughts on this story? Write to us in comments section below!